Friday, March 29, 2013

PURELY PIXIE: Plain black abaya for a date night at the amusement park

 Okay so when I was pregnant my husband took his sister KH, her kids, and a very giant me, to Marah Land, which is kind of this family amusement park here in Oman. Not the safest place in the world to be sure, since KH and her daughter Y almost fell out of the rollercoaster, which is probably why as a kid in Oman, my parents never ever let me go here. Despite, we had a blast, although I was not allowed as a pregnant woman, to go on the aforementioned death-trap-of-a-roller-coaster, for which I was devastastingly jealous. So thus, my husband I have have implemented a date-night strategy, where come every salary, one of us chooses a restaurant, and the other chooses an activity/place. This particular date night the restaurant was my husband's turn. And the activity was all on me. I chose bumper-cars, ferris wheel, cotton-candy and the possibility of plumetting to my death on a badly maintained roller-coaster. Which might be slightly irresponsible parenting.
The thing I enjoy most about date night is dressing up. Otherwise I only get occasion to dress up for work or events which makes my husband intolerably jealous and thus I usually go pretty-boring to those unless otherwise required. This particular night I wore a plain black closed-front abaya that has lace netting and a cascade front with an inner belt. It gives off a sort-of Moroccan-vibe that I love without actually having anything Moroccan about it. I made it myself so yeah, that's pretty cool right?
 Because I knew that we were going to be clinbing up into rides I also wore these cute Burgundy velvet leggings, which are so Omani I could scream, very Kookie&Z. I also wore Moroccan-style ballet flats even though usually I hate shoes. At first I thought of pairing it with my favourite handbag, but despite the outfit-modelling photographs, my husband bought a giant bag of pairs (the fruit) and I wound up carrying a larger tote that I usually use for work.
 Above is my best attempt to photograph the cut of the abaya. Didn't work though. Below is me trying to flash my bling, a gift from my husband. Which I made him put on while he was annoyingly in the middle of a conversation with my co-wife who was apparently recieving the worst customer service ever at Carrefour. Moments like these are when a sister's got to grind her teeth and say to herself, "I've probably done that," and get over it. And I am glad that I did because we had a great time in the end.
Above pictured: the pretty Islamic-style tile work outside the restaurant. Being that it was my husband's turn to choose the restaurant he chose something typically Omani: Yemeni mandhi, which admittedly, I also love. I don't think it is chic, but I do think it tastes good. We sat down to try "Mandi World" which we had never gone to before. It actually DID have the nicest interior and bathrooms of any mandhi restaurant I have ever been to. Mandhi restaurants are like this, little rooms half-enclosed with walls for family seating, carpeted, with Arabic majlis cushions called "wusada" against the wall, where food is served on a big metal tray on top of a plastic sheet. Always, it is eaten seated and with hands.
 Although I loved the atmosphere and the portions were huge when it came to the meat, I just didn't love it like I usually do. The chilly sauce wasn't spicy and the meat was big but flavourless. I guess I prefer the less fancy interior but great food mandhi houses in Muscat;).
 Above, decor, and below, painting on one wall inside:
 Afterwards we drove to Al-Qurum area of Muscat where Marah Land is located. As per tradition I got a small narcissicus flower from my habibi (smells better than any perfume and impossible to bottle).
 My husband is a health-nut so his favourite snack foods are peanuts, sour mango, and fresh corn. Me, of course, I went for cotton-candy, ice cream cone, and pop corn. Admittedly, husband DID try to pinch some of my m&ms. Everybody loves chocolate.
Qurum park is really pretty when it isn't busy, and on the night we went it was practically empty, so it was nice. Busy places and Arab-husbands don't mix when it comes to romance. Marah Land amusement park was also pretty dead beyond babies, and families with kids. So it lended itself nicely to bashing my husband in bumper cars (omigosh I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE bumper cars) and we were the only people who rode the death-trap roller-coaster the whole time we were there. What do you married folks usually do on date-nights? Usually we just hang out at home and watch a movie or go for a walk on a coconut-lined beach but this was so much fun for the kid in me.

11 comments:

StylishMuslimah said...

I love that cut of Abaya it is so classy :) Salam x

Pixie said...

StylishMuslimah: thank you wa alaykom e salaam. I made it:D

Anonymous said...

Salam alaikum. I must admit, I'm a bit confused. On your other blog I Love Hishma you had written that feet are awrah, yet on this blog, you posted pictures of your feet.

Boxie said...

I am sending you a bumper cars chalange. We have to go :). Last time we where at one was years ago. How time flys.

♥Soso♥ said...

Thank you for the kind words :) Enjoying your personal outfit posts, always my fav part of fashion blogs !

I'm Farsilla said...

i love ur style pixie.it looks different n classy in the same time.

Silla

Pixie said...

Anonymous: Wa alaykom e salaam, I said that on this blog:). What I said exactly is there is Islamic evidence to say the feet are awrah and if sisters want to be safer they can wear socks/tights. I myself believe the awrah is covered here as I am wearing ballet flats that cover my toes ect and my jilbab wil cover my feet when I stand, which is all I personally believe is required. I stated the evidence though as the foundation for another valid opinion that I feel is far less middle-road than my own:)

Pixie said...

Boxie: Omigosh you're ONNNNNNNNNNN. That place went to gave me whiplash, I was telling husband all about it lol.

Pixie said...

Soso: mine too, and I like a good fashion set or find too;). I really like your style.

Pixie said...

Farsilla: thank you so much. I am happy because when I first started husband was like, that is gonna be weird. Then when I finished he loved it but wasn't sure others would like it lol.

I'm Farsilla said...

hahaha i bet everyone love ur style :D

Silla