Saturday, May 4, 2013

KHALEEJI ABAYA TRENDS: Not hot anymore

In the GCC abaya styles and mode of decoration change pretty much yearly. In the West, not so much. Often what is fading from fashion here, is just reaching back there, and at horrifyingly high prices, since all of those abayas are on clearance here and appearing in stores that also sell your groceries. I always told myself, never buy your clothes from the same place you get your clothes.

Consequently, many sisters get ripped off in the West for these "latest" Khaleeji styles. I mean, if you love them, by all means, go ahead. I love the Bahraini cut, long, long, long long out of style here, and the Islamiyia for practicality. But know what you are paying for and how much the seller bought the design for from their manufacturer. Often they buy a lot of the clearance abayas here no one wanted and sell them back to the West for 3x what the abayas actually cost them.

Haraam, that, I say. So this post isn't about saying don't buy that abaya, it is ugly, or anything, just saying, wearing it in the GCC will be obvious you don't know what the GCC abaya is about is all, and don't get ripped off paying for last season's (or three season's ago) clothes.

FOR THOSE WHO WERE ASKING, I already did a post about the "In" styles and if you follow this link it will take you to that post: http://ilovehishmatheblog.blogspot.com/2013/04/khaleeji-abaya-trends-2013-hot.html

BAHRAINI CUT: OUT
FARASHA/BUTTERFLY and/or Bisht: OUT
GRECIAN CUT: OUT
MOST STRETCH DRAPED CUTS: Out
My beloved stretchy sleeve abayas: are almost gone out

13 comments:

Boxie said...

NOOOOO not the stretch sleeves. I need to get ne are two before they do. I do not care if they are :P.

Maymunah said...

Those were all the rage in Jordan last year, the Bahraini and the stretch-sleeve especially, the Grecian never really caught on. We're a bit behind the Gulf, and way WAY lower quality, they fall apart before they go out of style.

Stacy aka Fahiima said...

So what is currently "in" for khaleeji fashion?

rubinahassan said...

السَّلاَمُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَ بَرَكَاتُهُ

Thank you so much for letting us know what's out of fashion. I'm from South Africa and people here charge ridiculous prices prices for abayas, hijabs/scarves, niqabs, everything.

Please do a post on what's currently on trend as I think I shall begin to sew my own abayas. I'd like it to be fashionable and not previous years fashions.

I thoroughly enjoy your posts.
جزاك اللهُ خيراً

وَ عَلَيْكُمْ السَّلاَمُ وَرَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَ بَرَكَاتُهُ

MrsღA. said...

This must only be in Oman becuz here in Saudi and Bahrain lots of the women still wear these styles...

Pixie said...

Boxie: You can still wear them around, like say, grocery shopping or going to the village;) and they are extra cheap now unless made at a tailor. They just arne't "IN" enough to be in fashion.

Pixie said...

Maymunah: you probably get the ones they make for the grocery stores then there. Nothing worse than cheap crummer stretch and bad sewing.

Pixie said...

STacey: in this post, I saved a link (after the red lettering) of what IS in.

Rubina: Wa alaykom e salaam, I saved a link (after the red lettering) of what IS in.

Pixie said...

Mrs. A: ;). Yeaaaaah, Oman alot fo women still wear them to but for nothing stylish. Bahrain still wears their traditional style and that makes sense, and not all Grecian drapes are out just the oens I've pictured. Saudi isn't really all that stylish in abaya design when it comes to basic street wear. If you go to the Saudi uni. campuses that's where Saudi abaya fashion is defined:). It is like... in Canada... different cuts of jean are out and that never stopped people from wearing them. Especially for just run ning around or in more rural areas like my village ect... But Muscat events, and Dubai ect... classy girls don't wear these styles anymore. Unless they love them too much and are very individual.

Anonymous said...

It seems so pretentious that "classy" girls just don't wear last seasons abaya trends this season!! Wow the problems people have..i wish sisters would just wear correct hijab rather then worry about such petty issues.
It makes me feel sorry for those girls who cannot afford the "in fashion" abaya's and are probably looked down upon by the "classy" ones because of it.
Noor

Pixie said...

Dear Anonymous Noor whose comment I will post but blogger didn't let me see my comments awaiting moderation page today: I am responding to where you wrote "so pretentious that "classy" girls just don't wear last seasons abaya trends this season" like, where in my article DID I write that? Nowhere. SOme women do wear old trends because they like them and no one here in Oman looks down on anyone for their style of dress. That isn't Islamic at all. Don't be judgmental of fashion and trends which are not haram things, just the attitude that you speak of but no one else is. I am sorry if that is not what you meant but THIS post is about knowing what you are paying for since girls IN THE WEST get ripped off by online stores saying this is a Gulf-style when it is no longer worn in the Gulf.

Anonymous said...

subhanallah my eyes are doing a double take..this is DEFINITELY not the post i was writing that comment for and i can't seem to find the post i was intending that post to be written for!
..maybe it was another blog; i feel terrible and i apologise about that.

Noor

Xiet_Enigma said...

Hi,
Its actually a bit funny i'm googling about abaya bcoz I'm just new in Muscat and I'm shock of sooo many styles of abaya. haha! now I'm googling coz my first intention was to know what's the name of the style i like (in case i want to custom-made so i know what to request)

but now I have extra knowledge.haha. thnks alot!

oh and yes, of all the styles available, i love the simple cut abaya (dress-cut, with narrow sleeves-but not too tight)... and most of my abayas are that style, am wearing it anywhere and just love it. i'm obviously not the in-trend kind of girl but at least now i know how much should i pay for the abaya (in style or not)