How to Wear Pants: in some semblance of hijab

An overgarment (jilbab) is a fard obligation of hijab as agreed upon by the scholars of the four Sunni madhabs (and pretty much all the Shia ones as well and Ibadhi)  http://ilovehishmatheblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/not-imitating-disbelievers-and-what.html. A jilbab(in the least strict opinion) must comprise of pieces of clothing or fabric that are loose enough to cover an inner layer clothing when you leave the home. Pants are not a true overgarment in the opinion of any of the scholars but if they worn out of necessity for your safety in an endeavor, there is evidence to say this is permissable. I am gonna state, I don't wear this, because I don't believe pants can BE a jilbab, and the Prophet (S.A.W) forbid women from leaving the home without a jilbab, but if you are of the opinion from your research that pants can be worn as jilbab or you need to have mobility of the legs for an urgent endeavor that cannot be avoided and there is more benefit for you to do this thing than there is if you do not, you need to know how to wear pants in the manner closest resembling jilbab as possible. Unlike some scholars, I personally do not think pants count a resembling men's clothing because many cultures have women wearing very feminine pants so I have no problem doing this post. As a new hijabi, with no other means out there, I totally used to wear pants, and I think they can be modest clothing if worn in the manner to be described, but in my own opinion they, for the most part, fail to meet the conditions of jilbab (mainly the first one, that it be an overgarment).
To wear pants so that they resemble jilbab step #1: wear wide leg pants/trouser. Skinny jeans or tights count as clothed but naked and are not hijab in the slightest. If you could not confortably fit a pair of boot-cut jeans or a mid-thigh mini skirt into these pants they are not loose enough to wear in front of non-maharam men. To wear pants so that they resemble jilbab step #2: wear a tunic top that covers at least to the knee, else the necessary parts of your body won't be covered. Since (as you can see from the pic of the purple shukr pants above) the pants will still show the V of the private area and the shape of your butt, and this must be covered by an additional garment that falls at least to the knee to have all the necessary areas covered. With your top worn correctly, and your legs somewhat close together, it should appear that you are wearing a skirt and modest top over your regular clothing.
To wear pants so that they resemble jilbab step #3: if your pants are tighter, cover with top at least to mid thigh though the ankles are best. This way the top is acting as the jilbab, and this is closer to what the respected scholars' opinions about what jilbab is than pants acting as the jilbab anyway. This is the only cicumstance in which pants may be worn a Islamically-correct jilbab!
A good place to buy wide leg pants is http://www.shukronline.com/womens-pants.html and a good post about why wearing pants if so often bad hijab http://hegab-rehab.blogspot.com/2009/02/pants-i-dont-hate-them-100.html BTW, I am not copying Ange's post in anyway, since I posted these pictures that she has also used on BM a long time ago (not that I think Ange would mind at all) stating what was hijab about them, and what wasn't. I love all my sisters for the sake of Allah (S.W.T), and I wish for none of us to miss out on the scent of Jannah, because we were clothed, but still appeared as if naked.
BTW, I did also want to point out in my post, that the hijab worn by the beautiful pants models in my set does not cover the chest, and is thus not Islamic hijab. The Qu'ran was quite clear on how the headress (khimar) should be worn, and it should be styled to that the head in its entirety, including the neck, ears, and chest (and in some lesser held opinions the chin--- but this one I disagree with) are covered, or else, in the words of Baba Ali http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6AvYJih8A4----IT'S NOT HIJAB.

Comments

Fatou Thioune said…
im tryin to drop pants but its not easy
Pixie said…
Habibti: Buy an open style abaya then, and keep wearing the pants until you stop feeling comfortable with the abaya flying open. That's how I made my transitiion:D
shukr's pants are the only 'halal' type of pants i've seen mashaAllah they look really cute too. i must say though the abaya just looks so much more feminine and elegant to me alhamdulillah
Fatou Thioune said…
i dont even wear abaya they are too expensive mostly i wear clothes from my country in africa they are modest
Fatou Thioune said…
and with the canada cold, difficult not to wear jins
Anonymous said…
wow sister, it's incredible we really really really MUST think alike because we BOTH did blog posts about pants on Wednesday. subhanallah. You must be my twin or something...

hehehehe,

Personally as I mentioned on my blog post...I prefer pants, I am not into skirts at all and as long as you have on baggy pants (LOVE Shukr) and a long top your as covered as if your in a skirt or a jilbab or manteau.
Pixie said…
Lazeena: I know, but I have seen some loose ones in Sirens here in Canada. They aren't meant to be worn as hijab, but with a slutty top in nightclubs. :D Shukr has the best modest pants. I hate pants with jilbab on top cuz for the most part people wear them sooooooooo wrong.
Fatou Thioune said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ceritanya Yuyun said…
i'm new in wearing hijab and it's hard to leave my pants..
I've been thinking, in my country we're not wearing clothes over clothes as we live in a tropical country, is it wrong just to wear one piece clothing, for example skirt, blouse, hijab and not wearing jilbab over it? Please help me, i'm a newbie
Yuyun, Indonesia
Anonymous said…
are you baba ali's wife?
Anonymous said…
I haven't read far enough to see if you or any commenters thought of this, but wouldn't wide pants be okay if leggings were underneath? Personally I like skirts and dresses and don't wear pants outside, but I could see in the winter that it would maybe be a great option instead of a few layers of skirts? If leggings aren't acceptable then perhaps two layers of pants. The wide ones I am thinking of could certainly accommodate this.
Pixie said…
LOL I am not Baba Ali's wife lol;XD you're cute.
Pixie said…
Alba-by: what consititues what should be worn underneath is a jalabiyia-loose like dress. So tights sadly don't count. I am not saying YOU HAVE TO wear jalabiyia/caftan underneath only that the overgarment should be accomodating that size of undergarment to BE an overgarment:)