Abaya Don't: don't wear images/faces

Girls, don't be ridiculous. You can't pray in this. C'mon.

Narrated Said bin Abu Al-Hasan:

While I was with Ibn ‘Abbas a man came and said, “O father of ‘Abbas! My sustenance is from my manual profession and I make these pictures.” Ibn ‘Abbas said, “I will tell you only what I heard from Allah’s Apostle. I heard him saying, ‘Whoever makes a picture will be punished by Allah till he puts life in it, and he will never be able to put life in it.’ “Hearing this, that man heaved a sigh and his face turned pale. Ibn ‘Abbas said to him, “What a pity! If you insist on making pictures I advise you to make pictures of trees and any other unanimated objects.”

{Volume 3, Book 34, Number 428: Sahih Bukhari}
Following Ibn 'Abbas's advice, sisters avoid things with faces on your clothes.
Ibn ‘Umar reported Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) having said:

Those who paint pictures would be punished on the Day of Resurrection and it would be said to them: Breathe soul into what you have created.
{Chapter 19, Book 024, Number 5268: Sahih Muslim}
Narrated Ali ibn AbuTalib:

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said:
The angels do not enter a house which contains a picture, a dog, or a man who is impure by sexual defilement.

{Book 32, Number 4140: Sunan Abu-Dawud}
Sisters, if the angels won't enter a house with a picture in them, do you think they will go anywhere near you if you have some Prince or some Shiekh's face on your clothing? I once wanted this abaya with a peacock embroidered on it but instead I bought one with a peacock feather embroidered on it, because of this ruling.
Narrated Aisha:

(mother of the faithful believers) I bought a cushion with pictures on it. When Allah’s Apostle saw it, he kept standing at the door and did not enter the house. I noticed the sign of disgust on his face, so I said, “O Allah’s Apostle! I repent to Allah and His Apostle . (Please let me know) what sin I have done.” Allah’s Apostle said, “What about this cushion?” I replied, “I bought it for you to sit and recline on.” Allah’s Apostle said, “The painters (i.e. owners) of these pictures will be punished on the Day of Resurrection. It will be said to them, ‘Put life in what you have created (i.e. painted).’ ” The Prophet added, “The angels do not enter a house where there are pictures.”

{Volume 3, Book 34, Number 318: Sahih Bukhari}

Comments

That is crazy and I actually think its tacky!
Unknown said…
(:
hi pixie, i was just reading up this particular entry [by the way i really like that always put in references] and would just like to comment.

such narrations, if read in depth, refer to the idea of deities, which were always portrayed in pictures and idols. which explains "Put life in what you have created (i.e. painted)".

diff people have different undstding on such topics.

but i personally prefer to stay away from clothings with facial and life-like images. dont quite like that kind of stuff.
Jamilah said…
Its sort of creepy
lala said…
who is the dude?? it is tacky, n just hilarious, i mean y wear an abaya if ur going to hv a dudes face on it n that too a blinging one! lol
Pixie said…
Inspired Muslimah: exactly.
Pixie said…
lela: I am actually of the same opinion as you. But we can't always control what other people will end up using our images for a thousand years down the road so sometimes it pays to be cautious.
Pixie said…
Jamilah: like we are supporting some sort of image worship cult thing? Or that nationalism has that much invaded the ummah's Islam?
Pixie said…
lala: The two images are of Sheikh Zaid and King Abdullah.
Melissa said…
Hmmm...that just looks bizarre! Not pretty at all. I wanted a so-and-so for president shirt though...but wasn't sure if I could wear it, since it had a face on it...
Anonymous said…
totally disapprove the abaaya but i love the way the shaylah is wrap please post a tutorial on this stlye....shukran-waseela
Pixie said…
Waseela: inshaAllah, in the Emirates we will do a special set of vids.
UGH! As if it's not bad enough we have to gaze upon their "benevolent" faces in every freaking store in UAE now we have to see them as we walk around too!!!! PLEASE!!! Yeah really waht are they NOT thinking!!!
Tooo much!!! There is a reason we don't show the faces of the prophets and his closest companions why would we show lesser beings like kings and princes? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miss u Pixie.....
sara said…
I have heard some scholars forbid the taking of photos for the same reason?
Pixie said…
Sarah: yes some do. I am obviously not of that opinion but some of my bestfriends are. I don't think displaying photos of faces in the home is permissable though. For me it is the issue of displaying the image, no the image itself, that is the possible sin.
Asma said…
Salaams Pix

I have a question - which may sound a little thick - We cant do salah in clothes that have a face on them right ? does this ruling apply to animals also?

Based on you post above I would say yes? what are your thoughts?
A
x
Pixie said…
Asma: salaam alayokm ramatullah wa barakto,

from my knowledge anything resembling a living object that is not an abtract (such as the shape of a butterfly---not a detailed rendering of one) is not fit for salat and may render salat invalid.
ModestJustice said…
Asalamu Alaikum sister Pixie,

So I'm understand this ruling but what if you buy a shirt with a human image on it, but don't wear it when you pray (it's an occasional thing) and it's in the back of your closet most of the time? Like a one time only? Because I've done that and was going to wear the same shirt for another event but not pray in it. Thank you for having patience with my questions! :D
Rabia said…
salam,

This Abaya is hideous! I actually think the lady in the background is more properly attired, even though she's not wearing a scarf or abaya!