for Sammi: Sirens Hijab Looks

Meet Sammi (this pic only resembles her---it isn't actually her). Sammi works in a teen "club wear" / "casual" cute clothing store, for the same company I used to work for. We met when Aalia, Boxie and me were hanging out, shopping. Sammi has seen me wearing everything from abaya and niqab to skinny jeans and cocktail dresses and she always let me use the stroller change room cuz the store only has mirrors outside the rooms, except that one, and men sometimes have their girlfriend's model stuff for them, so I don't like to peer out. Sammi let me always, kindly. The first time I wore niqab into the store I heard one of her co-workers whisper about how I could wear what I am wearing so I had to correct her and be like, I choose this, I love it, and I get to have the clothes you have AND the ones I am wearing, and mine are more beautiful to me. Anyways... Sammi and most of the girls at the mall have learnt about Islam (badly) from the influx of Saudi boys here on scholarships. Sammi actually had a "boyfriend" that told her he was an Arab prince. She laughed and googled him. Sammi fell in love with one of the playboys, and he broke her heart, but she had been looking up Islam (since he told her he couldn't marry her if she wasn't a Muslim) and she learnt the religion was more beautiful and worthy than him. So she came up to Boxie and me, and asked us to explain it to her. I don't know if she is totally %100 serrious about becoming a Muslimah but she did ask how to pray and came to the Masjid and she asked how she would wear hijab and keep her job. So Sammi, this post is for you, because you are certainly more courageous than me, who was waaaaaay to scarred to approach Muslimahs....I remember going through the same conflict until I stopped caring soooo much. Anyways... I remember people telling me five hundred different things, but I know, since my first attempts at hijab came from Sammi' store, that she'll be able to imitate the store's feature looks easily with hijab----a modesty makeover of this site (warning, contains music so turn speakers off) to see what we are giving a modesty makeover to: http://www.sirensfashion.com/main.htm click on new looks). Here is my makeover of the first look
and the yellow skinny jeans look redone with a Siren's tunic dress.... and yellow skirt instead.

Comments

Fatou Thioune said…
as salamu alaykum oh i know sirens lol we have one here but these outfits are really suitable to wear for a hijabi right?
I want to officially meet Sammi inshaa'Allah :-)

Remember she over-heard me tell A. (when he was still a little baby_ that the music in Sirens was "Satanic"?

*hehehe*
MerhabaAyisha said…
I know many women like Sammi who fall in love with Muslim playboys who later break their hearts. I think it is nice and all these women want to become Muslims but I get the impression that most of these women convert because they think they will keep their boyfriends or land another man. Personaly to me women that do it for these reasons are stupid because even converting won't help in some of these situations.
Pixie said…
MarhabaAysiha: You sound very judgemental. No, these women do not convert for a man, since this one in particular, broke up with the man in favour of the religion. He broke her heart because she realized he was a hypocrite. She came to the realization straight away---not all Muslims are good and practicing.

I do understand what you mean though. Some people start learning about the religion because of a man. Funny thing is though, often these women marry that man after converting, and they are very unhappy because they are very religious and adhere to the religion, and that man never did.

Some do have a conversion that is not for the sake of Allah---a phony one---so their journey will often be painful cutural one.
Pixie said…
Habiti: As salaam alaykom ramatullah wa barakto.... Still searching for that abaya for you---it is designed by Safa Dalati (Aussie designer))))) but haven't found a cheaper version. As long as the outfits above are worn as overgarment and are loose enough and the hijab covers the chest they satisy Qu'ranic jilbab to me.
Pixie said…
Aalia: omigod yes, lool, she's the onyl one who didn't think you were nuts:D
Pixie said…
MerhabaAyisha: I just reread my response to your comment and I sounded harsh in first line and didn't want to I am just protective of Sammi whose already been so taken advantage of. Sorry! I don't mean you personally sound judgemental but it could be read that way. Sorry! Forgive!
MerhabaAyisha said…
I was never mad with you to begin with. I reread my comment and realized that yeah it was somewhat judgmental. I also have to take into consideration that I am a convert and that other Muslimahs could say the same thing about me! (Not refering to Sammi) It just makes me a little upset that some women think they will fix things up/ make them better by converting which has actually backfired in a lot my friend's cases. It makes coverts like me and others, who truly have Islam in our hearts, look bad.