Abaya Makeover

Whenever I find I am not wearing a plain black abaya that I used to love and that once upon a time you couldn`t get me out of for any occasion, I break out my craft box filled with beads, thread, lace, and ribbon trims (I save some of this stuff from fashion tops I no longer wear but were gorgeous---I cut those up and save the fabrics and trimmings for abaya and shayla crafts---same goes for broken jewelry) and go to town on the abaya. At this point, since I am not wearing the abaya anyways, it is safe for me to ruin it, but I try not to. For example, the Sunnah Style creation above, I have ripped the ruched sleeve on one side soooooooo... I have decided to sew it back on and cover the joint at the elbow with the pretty ribbon below (red one--but in the same patern as the pink). I will, eventually trim a shayla with the design as well, and bead both just the tiniest bit. The abaya will have a whole other life. And then, if I am too lazy to give it another mae over the, first sister who needs abayaat who complimented the design and fits it will be gifted it. Voila. Nothing wastedm and fun in fashion had.He he he, my beauty supplies, for making over an old abaya:

Comments

UniMuslimah said…
Salaam alaikum,
masha'Allah sister, I love your idea of "recycling" abayas! Maybe when I have a few more abayas I'll experiment with mine a bit. :)

Cheers!
Anonymous said…
A'salaamu alaikum sis. Just found your blog a month ago, reading through back posts. Masha'allah I love that you reference Qur'an and sunnah so it is clear and easy for someone to make up their own mind insha'allah.
Love your idea to recycle old abayaat. I have wanted to for a while but worry I will ruin them. :-) In'sha'allah we'll see what happens. Would like to see some of your personal handiwork; is any posted on here?

Wasalaam,

Sr. Jeanna
Knoxville, TN
ooooooooooooooo mashallah i love those trims!!!
Sarah said…
verryyyy niceee!