What makes an overgarment????

What makes an overgarment? Well, first for me, what makes an undergarment.

Understand, the women of the Sahaba made salat in their homes in the undergarment. They only wore jilbab when they went out of their homes and inside their homes they often used a wall or screen if non maharam men had some purpose to be inside their homes. So for me, the minimum garment I could make salat in in my home is the caftan/salwar top pictured above, the slits in the sides ideally going no more than mid calf (any higher and I'd have to wear pants) and a khimar. Soooo. When I wear any garment as an overgarment, it has to be able to fit this style garment underneath. Or to me, it is not the jilbab described in the Qu'ran.

It wouldn't fit in these pants
LOL, I wouldn't even think about it. But I'll admit, I did try with salwar pants. It didn't COMFORTABLY. It all bunched up to one side and I either had to have a bulge at my hip or I had to sit on it. If the jilbab garment isn't loose enough to accomodate clothes you could make salat in (and you don't HAVE TO wear salat-without-jilbab-clothes underneath your jilbab but you'd have to be able to for your jilbab to BE a jilbab) it isn't a jilbab.
These didn't work either:
Though this one did:
when I wear it, I pair it with a cimpletely loose modest top that came past my butt (to the knees is best so the hips catch no clinging). This does too: IF the maxi isn't made of a clingy fabric like jersey or a stretchy knit. The maxy though, needs something worn over it, like a box coat or very long and wide khimar/hijab pulled way over the chest and arms or it lacks the hijab-on -the-top part. A sister named Asma on my JILBAB IS FARD post suggested I take each garment and show how it can be adapted to hijab. I'll start with the salwar.

Comments

NeverEver said…
All I have to say is... God works in mysterious ways. This morning/ the last few mornings while getting dressed I've been thinking "How am I going to ask Pixie to tell me what I should be wearing UNDER the jilbab that is fard?" I get that there should be two layers, but I was a little perplexed about where the layers should be and such. Like do I need to be wearing two long sleeve shirts or is one tank top and one long sleeve shirt okay. Basically I just needed to know what constituted a proper "undergarment" when I go out.

Anyway, so here we are today and you wrote a whole post about it!!!

But really I still need to know... because it's hot... but hell is hotter... what is the minimum I can get away with for an undergarment and still be doing the job?

Thanks so much for the post!!!!!
Stephanie said…
Salam Alaikum wa barakatuh wa ramatullah
I totally agree with you as proper jilbab being an overgarment, but was surprised that you said you would pray in that first garment? Did I read that right? I've always been told that women are required to cover awrah in salat. Obviously that garment isn't covering awrah if it's showing calves, ankles, and forearms.
I generally try to find the evidence for all acts of worship inshallah, and I realized I had been told that but never knew the evidence. So I did a quick search on the internet to see if I was being delusional (I know the internet isn't always the best place for info) and it seemed that
what I have been told is true, at least according to the sites I looked at.
I'm interested to know if you disagree that all of the awrah, which is what we cover ordinarily in the prescence of non-mahhrem is to be covered in salat and would you mind showing evidence for that claim. I'd appreciate that immensely. Here are a few of the links I looked at. Thanks.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503544886

http://www.islamqa.com/en/cat/90

http://www.al-islam.org/encyclopedia/chapter7/6.html

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1154526122788&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout
Pixie said…
Stephanie: on me, that garment drags on the ground:D And it covers the arms. Everything but the face and hands should be covered but there is a hadith that talks about the lengths of women's garments and it is quite possible that the ankle bone may show when making salat but it is better to cover the calves. :D Maybe I should post a better pic???? What do you think?
Pixie said…
lol remember, models are often taller than the women that buy buy the clothes.
Pixie said…
and oopsie. wa alaykom e salaam ramatullah wa barakto.
Pixie said…
NeverEver: if you are wearing an abaya-like jilbab you can wear a slip dress or mini skirt under it but then, you can't take that off if you are visiting other Muslim women because we are supposed to cover from our knees to our collarbone even in front of other women. So the min if you want to take off your jilbab later is a tank that covers your cleavage, and a longer skirt or pair of pants (like capris). But remember the looseness of the overgarment on top of that (that'd it'd have to fit more than a tank top and mini skirt over it):D I am glad you foudn this post useful, subhanAALLAH.
Stephanie said…
OK Pixie I forgot you were super petite. I was like whaaaat?
NeverEver: Get yourself a nice light abaya like in a crepe fabric, wear a tank and a cotton skirt or pants under it, khimar in a nice breathable fabirc (not see through of course) and that is the absolute coolest thing I have found to wear in the summer. It's all about airflow and breathability ;)
NeverEver said…
Okay sweet, thats pretty much what I thought and what I've been trying to do. Thanks for the clarification, I feel a lot better now!!

God bless your efforts! :-D
Pixie said…
Stephanie: Yes, I have discovered that I am size sixteen (in little girls' clothes). I still fit Barbie brand runners with velcro:D LOL.

Your advice to NeverEver is good. Abayaat are the most breathable. That is the reason I started wearing them. I got too hot at work in my hijabified western clothing.