Asalaam alaykom all:

I know, I know, I am the world's worst blogger in the history of hijab bloggers.

But I have been busy and I have recently met with quite a few heads of Islamic education and this has always been a dream child of mine but...

What do you think of an Islamic University that can be taught jointly in English AND in Arabic, so that studies can be pursued in both lanuages at the same time?

I know I wanted that when I was a new convert.

Now this doesn't exist anywhere yet, but what about an Islamic University that teaches Islamic history and jurisprudence from every side? I mean, Sunni, Shia, Ibadhi, Sufi, what have you, and teachers the head of their feilds from all over the world leading classes through video so that you get the best from Madinah, Al Ahzar, Iran, and the West? As ya'll know, I need to buff up on my Jaffari shariah (since I am not Shia who am I to tell you what all shia believe right?). A university where true dialogue takes place, and no one school of thoughts takes precendance over the students' mind, only their rational skills, and the evidence, which they would be taught, through jurisprudence, and history (preIslamic, Seerah-era, Salafi, Caliphate, and Modern), as well as classical Arabic, Quran, tauhid, tafseer, ahadith, ect...

Through which students could choose to specialize in numerous feilds. Banking, family counselling, marriage counselling/divorce counselling and law, Imam training, Sheikh [teaching] training, Islamic art, Islamic music, Islamic media, Islamic marketing, Islamic medicine, Islamic sciences.... Having a course load similiar to other University programs which would be transferable for course credits at universities through out the world [both Islamic and Accademic], not only of a religious nature, but endeavoring to the richness of classical Islamic thought and achievments.

Think about it. Islam has so many areas of study.

  • History, through all its periods, from historical as well as Islamic sources.

-including classical Arabic

-seerah

-how to authenticate Islamic daleel (evidences)

-historical branches, such as shariah, and textiles, even archeology and anthropology

  • Shariah and Islamic Jurisprudance

-debate

-schools of thought including ALL sects and madhabs

-specialized focus into developed subject realms as as Sheikh training and overall course for Imams

-dealing with Islam in the modern day

  • Quran and Sunnah

-in terms of tauhid

-language and litterature

-history

-shariah

  • Applications of Islamic Knowledge

-development of Islamic medium such as internet and television programming, articles, ect...

-development and conservation of knowledge and resources through archives and new articles and journals

-Islamic art and design

-Islamic music/dance [halal alternatives]

-Islamic banking

-Sadaqah management

-Family Management

-Community Managment

I see endless possibilities, and I am still brainstorming right now, how EXACTLY to get it off the ground. But if it were at all possible, how many of you would be interested, either as qualified teachers, or as students?

I mean, me personally, I am not all that into what they are teaching at Al Ahzar beyond language and old madhabs, and going to Iran to study is a bit scary for one whose written what I have (yet I like to read books from Iran). And Saudi is hard for female students unless they are married or have family there.

Sooo let me know what ya'll think.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think attending a school like that would be really awesome :)
zanjabil said…
I would study there! Insha'Allah may He make it possible.
AlabasterMuslim said…
I would love there to be an Islamic university! Though personally i would not trust any university that taught anything that was not from the sunnah and the qur'an. No need to teach falsehoods, and if someone is ok with doing that then I wouldn't trust them.
Salam.. this is exciting for me beyond words.I mean when I started reading this, my heart literally started racing and I had an adrenaline rush through my body.. please please please somehow if this could work out, it would be amazing beyond words.. may Allah swt help you in getting started.. and please keep us updated?
Amal K said…
Walaikum as-salaam warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu ukhti

what a noble idea mash'Allah
may Allah Azzawajal reward you tremendously for your intention

maybe check out Online Islamic University and gain inspiration of how to set it up?

jazaki Allahu khairan
Fatima Jane said…
Salaam Pixie

I would be a student most definitely.

This is exactly what we need, a place of true learning with open dialogue and everything on the table.

I can help you get it off the ground too. I know some qualified scholars, sheikhs who head the Muslim Councils in South Africa.


Let me know if you want my help, let's partner up.
Sarah said…
Assalamu alaikum!
I think this is a fantastic idea! I know some parents, like mine, are hesitant to let their children study Islam at the university level for fear that they will be unable to support themselves sufficiently after graduating. Being able to combine Islamic studies with something like biology or chemistry would be amazing, especially when done in an Islamic environment! If you need any help whatsoever (well, that a college girl could provide!), please let me know and I will give you my email address! Jazakallah khair!
Anonymous said…
Slmz its sooo nyv to know that you are still around.
May allah keep u in good health always ameen!about the
Islamic studies from what I hear saudi is very good to study..n
I'm sure it will not be hard for you sincing your husband is from there ryt?
Nway may allah guide u and choose da right path ameen...take care
And pls do update again soon...slmz
Haya
Candice said…
I think it's a very interesting idea but I see it more in a highschool setting. An Islamic school that is open to debate and different points of view and that goes into detail about the Islamic view for the various subjects the students study like economics, art, history, etc. And it would be very interesting for it to have a debate club headed by qualified teachers to be performed in front of the other students and that has an extra credit of some kind attached to it to encourage other students to participate who might not have been interested normally.

I would send my kid to such a school for SURE.

I don't think the knowledge in a lot of those categories is enough for a university level course. And for the categories that do have enough knowledge, for university level students that generally want a specific, not general education, learning about all different sects would just not work. Most people are not open to that.
Aina Farzana said…
Asalamualaikum! I'm currently learning Sharia law and civil law in an Islamic university. It's called International Islamic University Malaysia, and it's in..Malaysia. Lol. We have Indonesia, Thailand and Singapore as neighbours. The university is great masyaAllah, with an Islamic environment that is hard to find even in the Muslim-majority country.

Granted, I'm not learning about other sects, just mainly the four major madhabs, but dialogue is definitely welcomed and you'd never be short of teachers. The environment also feels very international as we have students from all over the world there.

Sorry for gushing about this, I'm currently on a semester break and missing my university sooo much. Lol.