JUMA THOUGHTS: On marrying a Sheikh, either an oil Sheikh or a Shaykh Shaykh

As stated previously, I haven't had time recently to write any of my own Islamic-based research posts. And it being Friday  and me promising myself and you, dear blog followers, that I would be organized in running this blog from now on, thought I would share a few articles of note with my sisters.

I read a great article recently, posted by a sister I was privileged to have met while living back in Canada, and the author who I also admire greatly, and shared it with a friend. She [my friend] asked what the article was about. I said, about girls who want to marry Sheikhs.
"A Saudi oil-Sheikh?" she asked me. We know alot of articles have been written on the subject of girls chasing GCC passports in hopes of getting the latest fashions, a cute sports car, ect... and having a maid and nothing much to do. The reality of being married to Saudis and Emiratis is usually alot different, and my two favourite articles on these already discussed to the point of ridiculousness are linked here for you to enjoy:
2.) Marrying a Saudi http://www.blueabaya.blogspot.com/2013/01/saudi-arabia-from-rags-to-riches.html
"No, about marrying a Shaykh, Shaykh. Like, the Imam," I explained to my friend.

So here is the beginning of the article:

Saturday, January 19, 2013


Mum, I Wanna Marry A Shaykh!

Originally published in SISTERS Magazine.

UmmZainab Vanker reveals the reality of being married to Shaykh and explains why it might not be for everyone. 

Growing up in the ‘80s and ‘90s in a culturally conservative, semi-practising Muslim home, I never imagined or even hoped to marry a Shaykh, Aalim, Hafidh or Moulana. Back then, only those girls who were from strong, practising Muslim families, whose fathers or other relatives were involved in da’wah or were madrasah teachers, ever considered the people of knowledge as potential spouses.

Alhamdulillah, today we are witnessing a reawakening of Islam in our communities, especially amongst the sisters. With this, however, has arisen a phenomenon which I had not come across previously. Let’s call it – The Wannabe Shaykh’s Wife Syndrome (WSWS)!
Many sisters, both young and older, fantasise about marrying a shaykh and living the Islamic dream. What’s wrong with this, you ask? The answer is, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it at all! It is a noble path to want to follow, as long as you are aware of the “job description,” and what the reality of such a life entails.

Unfortunately, today it has become a fad of sorts – a way of becoming “known” for whom you’re married to, or “gaining respect” because of who your husband is. There’s also the completely unrealistic idea that marrying a shaykh is tantamount to marrying the Prophet Muhammad (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) or one of the Sahabah, thinking that such a man will follow their examples in making time to teach their wives and families first before teaching others. Too many sisters have the naïve dream that these brothers will start imparting their Islamic knowledge to them from day one of their marriage!

Dearest sisters, this is not the reality of life as a shaykh’s wife – especially the wife of one who does what he does seeking payment and reward from Allah swt alone. Such a man sees that he has a great responsibility for the knowledge that Allah swt has given him, and that it is his duty to spread Allah’s word, no matter how difficult that path may be...
To read the rest of the article follow this link by clicking on it: http://thesalafifeminist.blogspot.com/2013/01/mum-i-wanna-marry-shaykh.html

Comments